Howto install Tomcat with Eclipse IDE on MacOS X.
What we need:
1. Extract Eclipse into your Applicationfolder and Tomcat to your prefered location for example into your home directory.
2. change into the apache-tomcat-6.0.20/bin directory and make all .sh files executeable
cd <pathtoyourtomcat>/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/bin chmod +x *.sh
3. test if it starts
something like this should appear:
Using CATALINA_BASE: apache-tomcat-6.0.20
Using CATALINA_HOME: apache-tomcat-6.0.20
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: apache-tomcat-6.0.20/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home
4. Test you tomcat installation via your Browser
if everything works like expected shut the tomcat instance down
5. Now we add Tomcat to our Eclipse environment
Double click on the server and select “Use Tomcat installation (take control of Tomcat installation)”:
6. Modify the tomcat-users.xml file located in /<pathtotomcat>/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf directory and add:
<user username=”user” password=”password” roles=”admin,manager”/>
with your username and password for administration.